Chocolate, Date And Almond Filo Coil
275g/ 10 oz pack filo pastry, thawed if frozen
50g/2oz/4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
Icing sugar, cocoa powder and ground cinnamon, for dusting
FOR THE FILLING
75g/3oz/6 tbsp unsalted butter
115g/4oz plain dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
115g/4oz/1 cup ground almonds
115g/4oz/ ⅔ cup chopped dates
75g/3oz/ ½ cup icing sugar
10ml /2 tsp rosewater
2.5ml / ½ tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Grease a 22 cm /8 ½ in round cake tin. Make the filling. Melt the butter with the chocolate, then stir in the other ingredients to make a paste. Leave to cool.
2. Lay one sheet of filo on a clean work surface. Brush it lightly with melted butter, then lay a second sheet on top and brush that with melted butter too.
3. Roll a handful of the chocolate almond mixture into a long sausage shape and place along one long edge of the layered filo. Roll the pastry tightly around the filling to make a roll. Keep the roll even, shaping it with your hands.
4. Place the roll in the tin, coiling it around against the sides. Make enough rolls to fill the tin and fit them in place.
5. Brush the coil with the remaining melted butter. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown and crisp.
6. Remove the coil from the tin, and place it on a plate. Serve warm, dusted with icing sugar, cocoa and cinnamon.